HOW TO RIDE GUIDE
Bus & Light Rail
Welcome to the Sacramento Regional Transit District (SacRT). This guide will help explain how to ride SacRT's system. Operating 365 days a year, the entire bus and light rail system is accessible to the disabled community.
PLAN YOUR TRIP
There are several methods available to help plan your trip:
Weekdays: 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Customer Service and Sales Center
1225 R Street (adjacent to the 13th Street Station)
Weekdays: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed weekends and most holidays
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Where are you traveling from (address)?
- Where do you need to go (address)?
- When do you need to arrive?
4 EASY STEPS TO RIDE LIGHT RAIL
- Purchase a ticket or pass. If you are using a pre-paid paper ticket or pass, you must validate it in the slot on the fare vending machine before boarding. Passengers who fail to show proof of payment may be cited.
- Signage will identify which side of the station platform to stand. For your safety, stand behind the yellow caution strip.
- As the train arrives, check the head sign to verify you are boarding the correct train. Once the train has come to a complete stop, push the button on the door to enter.
- Listen and watch for your stop. Push the button to open the door, and exit.
4 EASY STEPS TO RIDE THE BUS
- Find your bus stop and stand by the sign. Have exact change ready, or use the convenient Connect Card, or ZipPass app. When the bus approaches, look for the route name and number on the top front of the bus. Wave to the bus operator to stop.
- Board the bus and place exact change in the fare box (bills or coin), show your valid pass, or activated mobile pass or tap your Connect Card.
- One block before your destination, pull the overhead cord once to ring the bell, which also turns on the "request stop" light.
- Exit through the back doors.
ATTENTION LIGHT RAIL RIDERS
Please Take a Seat or Secure A Standing Position Before the Train Departs.
For your safety, SacRT asks riders to quickly find their seat or secure a standing position before a light rail train departs. Operators will now be making announcements for riders inside of the train prior to the train pulling away from the station. If riders need additional time to board and get to their seat, they can make the operator aware by using the boarding ramp at the front of the light rail train.
SACRT MOBILE APPS
(Available free at the App Store and Google Play)
Fare App: ZipPass
Download SacRT's free mobile fare app and set up a secure account to purchase, save and activate tickets and passes right from your smartphone.
Safety and Security Reporting App: Alert SacRT
Alert SacRT offers riders a quick and discreet method for reporting safety and security concerns directory to SacRT Police Services using a smart phone or tablet. App users can send photos, six second video, text descriptions and locations of suspicious people or activities.
SmaRT Ride App: SacRT SmaRT Ride
The SacRT SmaRT Ride app allows you to request rides on SmaRT Ride. SmaRT Ride is similar to other ride-share services where customers can use a smartphone app to request a ride that will pick up and drop off passengers within the service boundaries.
Mobile Web App: m.sacrt.com
Visit m.sacrt.com for real-time bus information, scheduled train arrival times, service alerts and trip planning.
CONVENIENT PAYMENT OPTIONS
- Connect Card:
Go cashless and enjoy the convenience of a smart card that provides online account services and security, easy transfers on bus and light rail (free 90 minute transfer using a valid single ride ticket) and regional connectivity. You can load tickets and passes online or at participating retail outlets. Visit connecttransitcard.com for details.
Download SacRT's free mobile fare app and set up a secure account to purchase, save and activate tickets and passes right from your smartphone (free 90-minute transfer with single ride ticket).
- Cash Fare:
Accepted on SacRT buses and light rail fare vending machines. Exact change is required on buses since operators don't carry or give change.
- Credit Card: Accepted at most SacRT light rail fare vending machines and online for specific types of tickets and passes.
- All SacRT buses are equipped with lift platforms that can accommodate up to 600 pounds, and most SacRT buses "kneel" by lowering the front steps for easier boarding.
- SacRT buses and light rail trains have reserved seating for seniors and persons with disabilities.
- SacRT light rail stations offer accessible parking and pathways, station identification signs in raised print and braille, mini-high platforms and door indicators for boarding the train.
For information about SacRT Go Paratransit Services, visit sacrtgo.com
SAFETY & SECURITY
- Security improvements continue to be a major priority for SacRT, and our system has never been more safe or efficient. SacRT has invested in new technology, including surveillance cameras, public address system, reporting app (Alert SacRT) and a 24/7 security operations center to make sure our riders are safe.
PARK AND RIDE STATIONS
SacRT has 22 free park-and-ride lots with a total of 10,000 parking spaces.
The Cosumnes River College Parking Lot is $2 per day or $20 per month. More info at www.sacrt.com/fares/ppr.aspx
Plan ahead and purchase your tickets and passes in advance! Download SacRT's mobile fare app, ZipPass, from the App Store or Google Play, or order your Connect Card (the region's smart card) from connecttransitcard.com. All riders pay Basic fare unless eligible for Discount fare.
Discount fares apply to seniors (62+), Medicare cardholders and persons with disabilities.
Students within SacRT's service boundaries are eligible for free fare. Learn more at www.rydefreert.com
To qualify for the Discount fare, acceptable documentation is required as specified in SacRT's adopted Fare Structure Policy.
SacRT daily and monthly passes are valid for unlimited rides on buses and light rail trains for the date or month shown on the pass.
- Website: sacrt.com
- SacRT Go Paratransit Services: sacrtgo.com
- Phone: 916-321-BUSS (2877)
- Security Operations Center: 916-556-0275
- Route, Schedule & Fare Information: sacrt.com or 916-321-BUSS (2877)
- Lost & Found: 916-321-2855
- Compliments/Concerns: 916-557-4545
- Accessible Services: 916-557-4685
- Facebook: facebook.com/SacramentoRT
- Twitter: twitter.com/RideSacRT
- Instagram: Instagram.com/RideSacRT